So should you grab that keyboard and start writing? Not so fast. A good strategy is just as important as the content itself. A successful strategy can transform random content into an effective results-driven effort that leads to a positive ROI. Here are 5 steps to take to ensure your content will convert.
- Consider your avatar – Take some time to consider the different types of people who make up your target audience. What issues are important to them? What makes them tick? Are there topics or keywords to avoid? What communication channels are they active on? Every piece of content should be created with your audience in mind.
- Keep your branding consistent – Make sure your content ties in with your brand. Whether your brand is uber-professional or quirky and fun, your content should match that tone. Ensure the tone is consistent across all your marketing efforts, including your website, online marketing, email, trade shows, direct mail, and other promotional activities.
- Set up a content calendar – A common mistake among content marketers is communication drop-off. The team may be gung-ho at the outset, but loses steam after a period of time, causing changes in communication frequency and missed opportunities to connect with your audience. Set up a content calendar with clear deliverables and publish dates. Be sure to set specific goals for each content piece and determine quantifiable metrics that align with those goals.
- Write, write, write – You can be sure that your audience is inundated with content from multiple sources, including the competition. Make sure yours is worth reading. Your content needs authenticity and relevance, so make certain you are highly knowledgeable about the subject matter. Research original content on topics you think would be of interest to your audience. Clarify roles and responsibilities around writing, editing, publishing and sharing. Determine whether an outside consultant or agency is needed to augment internal staff to achieve regularly posted high-quality content.
- Share everywhere – Your content can only achieve its desired results if your audience reads it. Determine which channels will be most effective at promoting your content. Keep in mind that oftentimes your content can be re-purposed; for example, a popular blog post can be the basis for a webinar or an in-depth whitepaper. Choose a snappy line from your content piece and share it on social media with a link to the original content. Other creative ways to share content include videos, infographics, e-books and podcasts.
If you need assistance with planning or executing your content strategy, Grow Corporation can help.
As a full service B2B Marketing Communications company, Grow Corp uses effective in-house consulting services, strategy, copywriting and design to build integrated end-to-end solutions that adapt to your company’s needs. We offer strategic input based on our deep business understanding and familiarity with the high-tech and industrial markets. You benefit from our 15 years of experience covering all aspects of marketing communications – alternative strategies, copywriting, design and execution. Our professional and experienced team cuts through the noise to deliver a compelling proposition that meets all your needs. We specialize in connecting the dots between the different messages emanating from the company into one clear, concise and convincing message. For over 15 years, our marketing and strategic advice has helped many businesses and industries, from both start-ups to established multi-nationals around the world. Now, let us help you.